Search baby

Google
 

About this blog...

Photography has been a passion of mine for years. It is mainly just a hobby and I am always learning something new. The problem I ran into was there is just so much information out there and I was having a tough time organizing it all and keeping track of fun stuff I was finding. I decided I wanted one place to track all my links and misc information that I could access from anywhere, so I decided to start a blog to keep track of various tips, tricks, links and other information. The added bonus of using a blog is not only could I access it from various locations, I also could share it with others that might be interested. Now seeing that there is constantly new information coming out it is clear that this blog will never cover everything. Oh and please note I realize I am by no means an expert on any of these topics. Think of this blog as a starting point for references to help guide you in your search for the information you need.

Oh and if you are wondering I am a Canon, PC, and Photoshop user. So if things seem skewed that way it is only because that is what I use and not because I feel it is the best option nor what everyone else should be using. Always remember to do your research before buying something. Make sure it is the best thing for you, and that you are buying from a reputable site if you are shopping online.

Enjoy the site and feel free to leave feedback, or suggestions of sections to add.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Plexiglass

So you have been hearing about photographers using Plexiglass in their portraits to get some cool reflections and you want to know more about it.

Here are some common questions and a few basic answers

What kind of plexiglass to use?
I don't think it really matters what kind. You can pick it up in a variety of sizes at your local Home depot or Lowes. You can also look for places like a Plastic Supply company. You can also is look into getting a sheet of Lexan, or Polycarbonate, developed by General Electric. Lexan polycarbonate seems to be much more resilient, albeit more expensive. Try for ¼ for durability but keep it stored in a dark place since it can yellow and small cracks form (crazing) after exposure to UV. Avoid placing a large amount of weight in one place or it can crack on you. High heels are the worst.
There are also a few places that sell mirrored plexiglass that has even more reflective qualities.

Does it come in colors and if so which colors should I buy?
I am sure it does come in colors but you are generally just going to find clear, and you can use it over your existing backdrops to make it any color you like. Placing it over a darker backdrop tends to give you better reflections.

How do I keep it clean?
Windex and a soft cloth usually work well but test any cleaning method on a corner to make sure it is not going to add an scratches.

Help I have scratches, do I have to buy a new piece or can it be salvaged?
Use a plastic polish available at most home stores, glass shops, and some hobby shops. If you are in a bind you could also use use car wax liquid; if your scratches are really deep, use paste wax car wax with abrasives from you local auto parts store. Some people have also used lighter fluid for the lighter scratches.

How to shoot best with plexiglass?
Determine what you would like reflected in the plexiglass. The items posed closest to the surface of the plexi will have the sharpest reflection, and the items further away will have a softer more muted reflection. Darker fabrics will have a deeper reflection.
To capture the best shot of the reflection, you will need to have a large depth of field. This will allow the entire photograph to stay in focus. Use an aperture of at least 9.0. Shoot down on your subject to capture the reflection with lighting from above and/or behind the camera. Crop in close on your image. The beauty of this technique is in the details. If your image is not cropped close enough the reflection will appear as a blur.

What if I do not have a flash can I use natural light?
You sure can, the reflection tends to be a little less. Just play around with placement.


So there is some tips to get you started. Oh and someof you might pick up soem pieces where the edges feel a little sharp. Some people stick soem clear packing tape around the edges, and I gave mine a light sanding. I am sure if you Google Photography with Plexiglass you will find additional information.