Search baby

Google
 

About this blog...

Photography has been a passion of mine for years. It is mainly just a hobby and I am always learning something new. The problem I ran into was there is just so much information out there and I was having a tough time organizing it all and keeping track of fun stuff I was finding. I decided I wanted one place to track all my links and misc information that I could access from anywhere, so I decided to start a blog to keep track of various tips, tricks, links and other information. The added bonus of using a blog is not only could I access it from various locations, I also could share it with others that might be interested. Now seeing that there is constantly new information coming out it is clear that this blog will never cover everything. Oh and please note I realize I am by no means an expert on any of these topics. Think of this blog as a starting point for references to help guide you in your search for the information you need.

Oh and if you are wondering I am a Canon, PC, and Photoshop user. So if things seem skewed that way it is only because that is what I use and not because I feel it is the best option nor what everyone else should be using. Always remember to do your research before buying something. Make sure it is the best thing for you, and that you are buying from a reputable site if you are shopping online.

Enjoy the site and feel free to leave feedback, or suggestions of sections to add.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Backdrops, Stands and Props

A lot of people prefer to shoot out side and with natural light but depending where you live sometimes you have no choice but to shoot some stuff inside. SO then you start to wonder about setting up a in home studio or portable studio. As part of that you are going to need back drops and maybe even some props.

There are several questions that seem to come up over and over.
1. What backdrop stand should I buy? Well this is another one of those purchases you want to make sure you buy right the first time. Buy one that will be sturdy enough and tall and wide enough to meet the needs of what you shoot now and plan to shoot in the near future. If you are going to be dragging it around from location to location or shooting lots of kids with high energy that might knock them over you want to make sure you get something good and sturdy that can be weighted down. You don't want ot get one too cheap that will fall apart on you. It is also recommended to get one that can support paper rolls even if you plan to just shoot with fabric to start.

2. I am just starting out where can I get cheap backdrops? A lot of people will just use flat sheets, blankets, and even shower curtains that they pick up inexpensively from various locations. They also will hit the fabric stores to find interesting patterns.

3. What should I use for Props? There are a ton of ideas out there for props and places to get them from the garden center at your local Wal-Mart, your kids closet, yard sales and flea markets. Really there are no rules for props, use you imagination. Plus you can find some unique things that not ever one else has.

4. Okay I am ready to move up from raiding my linen closet, and my kids want their toys back where can I buy some backdrops, stands and props from?
Here are some links that I have either purchased from myself or know others that have and are happy with their purchases. You can also check out eBay for deals from time to time, just make sure you are buying through someone reputable.
(a lot of these places also sell lighting equipment also)

Backdrop outlet
Denny Manufacturing
B & H Photo and Video They seem to have a little of everything here.
Aura

One place to avoid is Amvona They also sell stuff on EBay. They have terrible customer service and send damaged goods. you can see what people have said about them Here